Wouldn’t it be great if we could get in shape by sleeping instead of exercising? While it may not be quite that simple, sleeping better can help you trim down.
When you don’t get enough sleep, it affects your hormones. When your hormones are off kilter, you’re more susceptible to weight gain. We all know that diet and exercise are essential for a healthy physique. However, even if these habits are in place, your weight-loss goals can still be sabotaged by lack of sleep.
Here are some of the health benefits of a good night’s rest:
- Sleep can cut down your cravings – You get cravings because the lining of your stomach produces the hormone ghrelin, which tells the body that you are hungry. Lack of sleep causes the body to produce more of this hormone. Ghrelin is your body’s way of signaling that it needs more energy. If your body cannot get energy from sleep, it will seek it in the form of calories.
- Sleep can stave off overeating – The foil to ghrelin is the hormone leptin, which signals your body that you are full. Leptin is produced in the body’s fat cells and sends a signal to the brain when you have consumed enough energy from food. The levels of leptin dip when you are sleepy so the body will compensate by consuming more calories than you actually need. The brain will tell your body that you are hungry because you did not get enough sleep.
- Sleep can curb unhealthy cravings – Lack of sleep increases your appetite and makes you crave high-calorie snacks. Sleep deprivation also increases your levels of endocannabinoids, which are chemicals that make eating more enjoyable. Thus, you will be more likely to keep munching.
- Sleep can reduce stress – Your levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, increase when you are sleep deprived. Cortisol stimulates gluconeogenesis, the body process that produces more glucose.
- Sleep can help regulate blood sugar – When your cortisol levels are high on a regular basis, you might develop insulin resistance because you need more insulin to break down the high amount of glucose.
- Sleep can maintain your endurance – You will not be able to work out efficiently when you are sleep deprived. On the other hand, getting enough rest will give you the endurance and strength to boost your physical performance.
In addition to getting enough sleep, you can supplement your gym workouts by enhancing your body’s production of nitric oxide. You can do this by taking NO Max Shred. NO Max Shred can help increase your stamina and performance at the gym.