Fruit has many health benefits in general, but there are certain fruits that are extra effective in burning body fat, especially belly fat. Studies have shown that certain fruits burn fats better than others, allowing for improved weight loss. Not all fruits are body-trimmers. Most fruits contain large amount of natural sugars that convert into fat when eaten in excess, but the following fruits may actually be helpful in burning fat.
- Avocado – Avocado is loaded with healthy omega-9 fatty acids, the same healthy fats found in olives, olive oil, and macadamia nuts. Avocado speeds the conversion of fat into energy, which helps boost the metabolic rate.
- Coconut – The fruit of the coconut tree is rich in medium chain triglycerides (MCFAs) that reduce the cholesterol levels in the liver and other tissues. Coconut helps you feel full, lessening the craving for snacks. It also aids in thyroid gland function.
- Lemons – Lemons may taste acidic, but once they are metabolized by the body, they alkalize the body fluids and tissues. Lemons are good for liver detoxification, which may result in an improved ability to digest and burn fat.
- Grapefruit – Studies have shown that consuming half a grapefruit before each meal can help reduce cholesterol levels and visceral or belly fat. These results have been attributed to the vitamin C and phytochemicals in grapefruit. Participants in a study consumed half a fresh grapefruit before meals for 12 consecutive weeks. Most of the participants lost about 5 pounds by the fourth week and almost 12 pounds by the 12th week.
- Tart Cherries – A study of laboratory rats conducted by the University of Michigan found that rats that were fed tart cherries showed a 9 percent reduction in belly fat over rats in the control group (no cherries). They noted that cherry consumption seems to alter the expression of fat genes. Cherries are also rich in antioxidants.
- Berries – Berries such as blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries are rich in polyphenols, the powerful chemicals that help in spurring weight loss and arresting the development of fat.
- Pink Lady Apples – These crispy, flavorful apples are very rich in fiber, which has been shown to be essential in reducing visceral fat.
These fruits are not only helpful in reducing visceral fat, they have also been linked to the prevention of heart disease, cancer, and other diseases. Add these delicious fruits to your diet in moderation as part of your overall fitness plan.